Thursday, 20 September 2007

Rosh Hashanah, the horn and New York Fashion Week


Fashion week just hit New York. Like an ocean wave it rolled across the city and drew back to oblivion, having cast a scattering of strange creatures into the urban grunge. And here they linger, odd and beautiful and otherworldly.

NY is, at any time of year, extraordinary in its abundance of beautiful people. During Fashion Week it is a neck-cricking nightmare in which lampposts need health insurance. I believe the sheer variation of ethnicity accounts for this. Aesthetically blessed folk of every shade and flavour are sucked into the Big Apple like dust up a Dyson. Here they create themselves, their pallets comprising innumerable nail bars, beauty parlours, hair salons, gyms and massage dens. Looking good is a professional sport in New York. Even I, a humble boy from the English shires, have done time in vibrating massage chairs having my feet washed and meticulously pruned as though they were two Bonsai trees. This is an admission I do not make lightly. Where I grew up, brushing your teeth is considered an unnecessary extravagance. Well, not quite, but you know what I mean.

The only city I’ve ever known to compare as favourably on the ‘Good-Looking : Good-God Get Away From Me!’ ratio is Oslo in Norway. But there, due to a more limited gene pool, there are fewer surprises. There is a certain look. It’s like a pick ‘n’ mix where someone has filled the bag with just his favourite sweets. Though, if blond hair and blue eyes is your only 'bag', you perhaps shouldn’t go on about it too much. Someone else once had that fetish. He also had a thing for knee length leather jackboots.

Back to NY, it isn’t just lithe-limbed models that mingle with the masses. Rarely a day goes by when we don’t see a card-carrying member of the Hollywood elite, from De Niro to Orlando to Thurman, mooching around, soaking up the unique NY atmos. We even caught Dustbin Trousersnake munching a burrito in the local cafĂ©. Last Saturday I was browsing in the nearby Ralph Lauren shop (which was loaded with lumberjack chic) when I saw a one of Tinsel Town’s bright young things sitting in the corner, cell phone on stubble, jawing mutedly. Now then, thought I, he’s either Spider Man or the gay cowboy. Undecided, I left the shop, joined Sally and related my celebrity spot. Well, I hadn’t quite finished telling her when she ran off down the street, towards Ralph’s. Lumberjack chic must be quite the thing, I thought.

Later that day we were on our way to a dinner party in the Flat Iron district, when we saw Larry David, the 60 year old Emmy winning actor, writer, comedian, producer and film director, from the critically acclaimed comedy series Curb Your Enthusiasm. There was no running. Not even a quickening of step. Hmm…maybe Sally’s legs were tired from earlier.

The dinner conversation that night came round to the other event to occupy New York recently; Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish new year and day of judgement, in which God judges each person individually according to their deeds, and makes a decree for the following year. The holiday is characterized by the blowing of the shofar, which is a ram’s horn. Shofar so good. But then I learned that many companies allow all employees two floating religious days to take as and when. This got me wondering what I would do if I worked for a big corporation, me being a heathen and all. I decided there and then. I want Pancake Day. I want two Pancake Days. Then one of the dinner guests reminded me. Every day is Pancake Day in America.

Oh, and by the way, just so as you know; it was the gay cowboy.

10 comments:

IkeDLite said...

I want arbor day off.

http://www.arbor-day.net/

Unknown said...

St Georges day, a dragon slaying knight in shining armor? Or a greasy fried pancake? Glad to see you pledge your patriotic allegiance to what matters most.
I know Americans love their food but why not buy a 'stars and stripes' tie pin or a Yankees cap to show your cultural appreciation. Instead you choose the pursuit of obesity and denouncment of your patron saint to a status akin to a bagel.
Whats next? Perhaps you could celebrate the Boston Tea Party. I know what you are thinking now...
breakfast - time for coffee and a donut!
PS What are doing for July 4th?

Giles Kristian said...

No, Tom. You are quite wrong regarding my alliegiance. It's true, I am a believer in the whole 'when in Rome' thing - indeed, i find it rude to obsess about your own country's quirks when safely nestled in another country's bosom, enjoying its hospitality, but I have been known to say that tea is worth going to war over. The Boston Tea Party WAS a tragedy, but for no greater reason than so much tea (the answer to every Englishman's woes) was lost forever. I am, sir, a patriot.

Anonymous said...

A very under rated holiday which we know and love in the UK is May Day. This occasion merits dressing children up in strange knee length white shorts and dancing round a 20 foot tall wooden pole (May Pole dancing) with coloured tape attached to the child and the top of the pole.
Many men, mostly sporting beards it has to be said (Tom is in training), then simulate hitting each other with sticks whilst wearing bells on their knees and elbows.
This might seem strange to our American cousins but, it is something we here in the UK have been doing since pagan times and before. 'As normal as chowing down on pigs blood!' I hear you proclaim, which seems to be another British oddity.
I call for this day to be celebrated on an international scale and challenge anybody to come up with a more strange celebration. We have a Bank holiday every year to do this and nobody even seems to know exactly why...? Answers on a postcard please.
I won't even begin to talk about lady Godiva.........
Damian.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading the blog ! This week and my suggest the following. As a person that travels often to many different places in the pursuit of sales .I find myself in a sort of religious limbo. Some weeks a Muslim ,some weeks a Budist others a Jew. It just depends where and with who i am dealing with at the time. With that in mind you can see that it would be detremental to business to aline myself with any one groups holidays. So i would like to request a Two floating "Take Away" days. In doing this i can fit in very well with any of the groups i deal with eg- Indians,chinese,Turkish,Thai,Italians. It goes without saying i will following the diet of each of day ...or as close as the local Take-away lets me ... This is my first reply to a blog so not sure this is what is required but who cares i have sent it know........

Richard Baker said...

The anniversary of Carl Sagan's death (December 19th) and also National Roast Leg of Lamb Day (May 7).

Anonymous said...

As if Jake with his sensitive blue eyes, his thick luscious hair, designer stubble and chiselled jaw line was the reason I ran down the street! I was truly excited about the new line of chequered lumber jack shirts the store had in. And it’s not like I care that he smiled at me! Sally

Unknown said...

Pajama & Pinata Day- July 10

Yay.

You must be wearing your pajamas while partaking in pinata hitting festivities.

Anonymous said...

I think a "be kind to slugs" day would be rather appropriate - a floating day though, to tie in with overzealous celebrations of the liquid kind and also a "stay off your bike day" every July 31st, probably extending to July 30th of each subsequent year.
lol Headley x

wastenotym said...

ah, it was jake...i wasn't sure which gay cowboy you were referring to (by the way, i quite like that look, the gay cowboy-thing, do you?).

well, well, that gay cowboy often comes into the shop, along with his sister, his mother, his father and their cute family dog.

i'll blog or facebook you and sally next time they come in so you can run your ass quickly downstairs for a sneak peek!

i vote for joke day and hoola-hoop day...there are some many i'd like to request for!!!!! pancake day sounds good too ;)

v